ROANOKE A. I. LABORATORIES, INC.
8535 Martin Creek Road
Roanoke, VA. 24018-5875
This Abstract is reprinted from Theriogenology, February 1989, Vol 31, Iss 2, pp 341-346, with permission from Elsevier Science.
Stallion Ejaculation Induced by Manual Stimulation of the Penis
Jim Crump, Jr. and Julia Crump
Roanoke A.I. Laboratories, Inc. 8535 Martin Creek Road, Roanoke, VA 24018
| Received for publication:
|| February 25, 1988
|| November 21, 1988>
This paper reports the use of a procedure for collection of semen from
stallions by manual stimulation of the penis while the stallion is standing.
Our use of this method with 18 stallions of various ages and types of semen
collection experience indicates that this method may be an efficient alternative
to traditional semen collection techniques using an artificial vagina and
stimulus mare or dummy mount mare. Our observations, together with those
of others who have tried the manual technique, suggest that both animals
and handlers can be readily trained to use this method. Limited data suggests
that semen samples obtained by manual stimulation are similar to those
obtained using an artificial vagina.
Key Words: equine, stallion, semen collection, artificial insemination
Additional references on this subject:
- Crump, J; Crump, J. Stallion Ejaculation Induced by Manual Stimulation of the Penis. Theriogenology, February 1989, Vol 31, Iss 2, pp 341-346.
Full Text of the above article. *.PDF file requires Adobe Acrobat© Reader
- McDonnell, S.M.; Love, C.C. Manual Stimulation Collection of Semen from Stallions - Training Time, Sexual Behavior and Semen. Theriogenology, June 1990, Vol 33, Iss 6, pp 1201-1210.
- Love, C.C.; McDonnell, S.M.; Kenney, R.M. Manually Assisted Ejaculation in a Stallion with Erectile Dysfunction Subsequent to Paraphimosis. J Amer Vet Med Assn, May 1 92, Vol 200, Iss 9, pp 1357-1359.
- McDonnell, S.M.; Pozor, M.A.; Beech, J.; Sweeney, R.W. Use of Manual Stimulation for Collection of Semen from an Atactic Stallion Unable to Mount. J Amer Vet Med Assn, Sep 15 91, Vol 199, Iss 6, pp 753-754.
- Schumacher, J.; Riddle, M. G. Collection of Stallion Semen Without a Mount. Theriogenology, 1986, Vol 26, Iss 2, pp 245-250.
- McDonnell, S.M. Using Hot Compresses as an Aid to Semen Collection in Stallions (August 24, 2000) U PA Havemeyer Equine Behavior Lab at New Bolton Center
- Mottershead, J. A Modification of the Crump Manual Semen Collection Method, as Used by New Bolton Center (U Pa) (November 25th, 1999)
- McDonnell, S.M. Protocol for Pharmacologically-Induced Ejaculation in the Stallion (July 25, 2000) U PA Havemeyer Equine Behavior Lab at New Bolton Center
Each individual stallion should be carefully evaluated by experienced personnel as to their suitablity for semen collection using this technique to reduce
the chance of injury to either the handler or the stallion. Approximately 1/3 of stallions will stand firmly while being collected using this technique, another 1/3 will walk forward during collection, and the remaining 1/3 will rear and stand on their hind legs during collection.
© Roanoke A.I. Labs, Inc. All rights reserved.